A creative problem solver, a systematic designer and an experienced leader.
Formerly the Global Creative Director for ibm.com, I have led several redesigns across many countries. As a design manager, I have recruited and grown teams. As an individual contributor, I have crafted numerous design systems and prototypes.
I am comfortable in working across business, creative and engineering disciplines. I am passionate about the intersection of design, technology and strategy. I believe the best results come from collaboration and not compromise. I believe in the simplicity and elegance of design and code.
I enjoy balancing and bridging design and development in projects. I thrive in dynamic environments with challenging constraints and enjoy delivering clever solutions to complex problems. I am resourceful, take initiative, and obsessive with results.
1999 – Present
1999 – Present
ChiuDesign – Principal and Creative Director
Led consulting projects for clients across diverse sectors, including 3M; Dow Automotive; the film director Ronny Yu; and the fashion brand Nanette Lepore
– June 2016
Sept 2015 – June 2016
IBM Design Manager – Brand Strategy & Experience Design
- Collaborated on the ideation and rebranding of IBM Cloud and Watson
- Served as creative director for internal campaigns, design programs, and external communications such as CEO presentations to Fortune 100 executives
- Led the redesign and development of the IBM Brand Experience and Standards platform, allowing for centralized assets management and faster deployment
- Drove the pilot rollout of uniform creative tools to the IBM design community, ensuring consistent visual output and increasing knowledge sharing
– Sept 2015
Jan 2014 – Sept 2015
IBM Design Manager – Environmental Experience
- Designed from the ground up the Watson Headquarters and the IBM Studios in New York, Tokyo, London, Germany, Boston, creating optimal environment for collaboration and organic, cross-team encounters
- Worked hand-in-hand with the architects to design the floorplans, the interiors, and all of the digital and physical touchpoints
- Identified and procured cutting edge equipment, while also coming under budget
2008 – 2014
Global Creative Director – ibm.com
- Responsible for the design and technical rollout of the IBM.com mobile framework
- Led the 2011 centennial global redesign for the flagship website and intranet
- Supervised a team of 15-20 across disciplines (UX, UI, interaction design, developers), providing guidance and giving hands-on help during tight deadlines
- Participated in agency reviews as a selection committee member
- Product owner and manager of the IBM Pattern Library
- Co-founded the IBM Design Lab, a pilot project for agile design collaboration
2001 – 2008
Creative Director – ibm.com
- Supervised the visual and interaction design for ibm.com.
- Led the 2002, 2004 and 2007 ibm.com global redesigns.
- Implemented design standards for enterprise wide adoption of ibm.com visual design systems.
- Oversaw day to day design operations within the design department.
- Recruited and trained team of 12 Art Directors and Designers.
- Led visual and interaction design initiatives for the ibm commerce and checkout systems.
1999 – 2001
R/GA – Creative Director
- Presented agency pitches to clients
- Headed the creative team for IBM, helping to grow the engagement from 2 to 30 ongoing projects and into an $8 million account
- Recruited, trained and managed a team of 10 designers
- Co-founder of R/GA’s Pervasive Computing Lab
1996 – 1999
Nicholson (Digitas LBi) – Associate Creative Director
- Designed interactive projects and proposals for clients including IBM, Sony, Motorola, GE.
- Won first best of show at the OneShow Interactive Awards for SnowCraft
Best of IBM 2013 (Top 0.1%)
Webby Award 2008
Good Design Award Japan 2007
Gold Pencil, One Show Interactive, Best of the decade 2007
Horizon Interactive Awards 2004
Cannes CyberLion, 2000
Gold Pencil, OneShow Interactive. Other Digital Media 2000
Gold, Clio Interactive Awards, Game design 1999
Bronze, ID Magazine. Game design 1999
Gold Pencil, OneShow Interactive. Other Digital Media 1999
London Museum of Art 1998
Gold Pencil, OneShow Interactive. Other Digital Media 1998
Gold Pencil, OneShow Interactive. Interactive Advertising 1998
Gold Pencil, OneShow Interactive. Best of Show 1997
Gold Pencil, OneShow Interactive. Other Digital Media 1997
Adweek – September 2015
Design Week – February 2015
Communications Arts – 2001
ID Magazine – 1999
NYU ITP 2008
Global Marketing Council 2007
OneShow Interactive 2007
Rhode Island School of Design 2001
The New School, Parsons 1997
Control for persistent search results and iterative searching
Method and system for detection of mental impairment in mobile application
Yale School of Management
Business perspectives for creative leaders.
Charter class of 2008
Leadership Education for Asian Pacifics
BFA in Graphic Design
4 year program completed in 3 years